The association is a scientific research institution and promotes science and research. It is concerned with the scientific investigation of the application possibilities as well as further development and maintenance of an open software standard that can be used for industrial and academic applications in a generally and free accessible manner. "VMAP SC" is the "VMAP Standards Community", open to all interested parties who wish to use or contribute to the standardization efforts of the association. The association wishes to carry the VMAP standardization efforts into the future and for this purpose plans to found the "VMAP Standards Community e.V.“
In particular, at the time of the foundation of this association there are still open scientific questions concerning at least the following technical disciplines:
- Storage of complete simulation models and consideration of further simulation disciplines and discretization methods
- Connection to product management and design data,
- Linking of virtual simulation data with real measurement and sensor data,
- Semantic and cross-disciplinary organization of data via ontologies,
- Support for AI-based analysis and prediction methods.
A solution to these and future questions is to be made possible by the association within the framework of current R&D projects or projects still to be developed. In this context, projects/project applications/funding programs of various research institutes are to be linked.
The association's activity is aimed at making the results of scientific activity accessible to the general public, which is usually done by publishing them.